The points mentioned below are extracts of the Western Province Cricket Association Policy Directive: Return To Train/ Play – Policy Guidelines For Amateur Cricket Under Alert Level 1 Lockdown.
View the full policy here.
All sports around the country and the globe have been hugely impacted by the pandemic, and all sport activities were halted in most countries including South Africa. The government has eased the lockdown restrictions as gazetted in the Alert Level 1 regulations (Gazette 43725 of 18 September 2020) as adapted by Gazette 43727 of 20 September 2020. Sporting activities, including both professional and nonprofessional matches, by recognised sporting bodies, are allowed, subject to the following:
• Directions for sports matches issued by the Cabinet member responsible for sport after consultation with the Cabinet member responsible for health;
• only journalists, radio, television crew, security personnel, emergency medical services, and the necessary employees employed by the owners of the venue of the sport match, are allowed at the venue of the sport match;
• only the required number of players, match officials, support staff and medical crew required for the sport match, are allowed at the venue of the sport match;
• no spectators are allowed at the venue of the sports training/ match; and
• no international sport events are allowed.
In order to comply with the above regulations, it is therefore important that WPCA provides the appropriate guidelines to its affiliates to ensure the resumption of all amateur cricket activities transpire within the parameters of the medical protocols which need to be observed as approved by CSA.
Purpose of these Guidelines
These guidelines are relevant for all amateur related cricket activities stipulated below
as approved by the CSA Members based on the COVID-19 risk assessment conducted
of the venue/ facilities where the “Return to Train/ Return to play” activities will be
conducted in accordance with the phased in approach timelines as stipulated in
paragraph 3 below:
Return to Train: ONE-ON-ONE | SMALL GROUP (max 5 players plus a coach) | SQUAD (Max 13 players plus 2 coaches)
Return to Play: Internal Squad Match Practices | Preseason Friendlies | Official fixtures
Phased in Approach
Preseason conditioning of players (4 to 6 weeks).
Important: Injury prevention protocols and proper conditioning of players to resume match activity to be included in periodized coaching program planning.
November and December 2020
Internal squad match practices. | WPCA approved friendly matches based on an application and approval process.
Important: 1. No friendly matches outside Cape Town Metro jurisdiction will be permitted. | 2. Movement of players is only Limited to the Cape Town Metro jurisdiction. | 3. No Tournaments or Festivals of any kind are permitted during this period.
January to April 2021
WPCA official Amateur cricket season as per approved fixtures. | WPCA approved Tournaments or Festivals are permitted based on an application and approval process.